Monday, November 24, 2008

Activity IV: Visualizing "Isms"







Samantha Elliott
Comp 106
22 November 2008
Visualizing "Isms"
This project was probably one of my favorite projects that we have worked in for this class. I enjoyed finding my own meaning in the definitions and finding pictures to go along with them.
The most difficult image to find an image for I would probably have to say was Geocentrism. Geocentrism is the belief that the Earth is the center of the universe and was thought that way by the church for quite some time. A bunch of the pictures I found were book covers saying that the church is right and I didn’t want that. The picture that I found I really like. It’s the Earth with planets around it and the Earth is flat. When people though Geocentrism was correct, some also still thought that the Earth was flat. So I really like that picture and think it really goes with the definition.
Bonism was probably my favorite slide. Bonism is the "doctrine that the world is good but not perfect." For this slide I chose a picture of a large rock in nature with a large crack down the middle. It just shows that nature can be beautiful but still flawed. Two more favorite slides were optimism and pessimism. The two had opposites of the same picture. Optimism had a picture of a dark cloudy sky with a painter’s palate where someone had painted a bright sunny sky. The pessimism slide showed a bright sunny sky with a painter’s palate where someone had painted a dark cloudy sky. I really liked how the two fit together.
While deciding on images I took an audience into consideration. I wanted creative pictures that I felt went a little deeper into the definition but were still easy for someone else to understand without having me explain it to them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow -- I wish I could have shown "bonism" to the class...